This is a favourite recipe of our mother’s, as she doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth but loves the chewiness of this muesli slice. It is very easy to make, and you probably already have most of the ingredients in the pantry. Feel free to try different combinations, for example instead of chopped almonds, try raisins, hazelnuts or dried cranberries.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup Chelsea sugar
- 2 tbspn golden syrup
- 100g butter
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 3 tbspn boiling water
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flour, desiccated coconut and sugar
- In a small pot, melt the butter and golden syrup until simmering. Take off the heat
- In a cup, add the baking soda and then pour over the boiling water and mix. Add the baking soda mix to the butter/golden syrup, which will cause the mixture to foam
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well. Add in the chopped almonds and mix until well incorporated
- Line a baking tray, and place the mixture on the tray and press down until firm. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.